Thursday, September 30, 2010

Multicultural Relevance

In reading this week’s material I will admit that more than once I had to go back and read a few sentences twice. The debate over multicultural inclusion is a very relevant issue. I know people who think everyone who does not love America and everything American should just pack up and leave. Some call these ideals a preservation of the American way; I call them intolerance.

Some of the reading focused on the history of America and what should be included in this history. I think the entire outlook of history as a subject needs to be evaluated. Why do we teach history? Is it so students can recite a list of facts and dates? Or is there a greater purpose? If history is taught to engage students in thought about actions and consequences I can see no other option but to study both sides of events in history. Europeans settling in America had a huge impact on the native people. Not only did Europeans bring foreign disease, but they also brought a huge culture invasion. Both sides of that story need to be told. I was paying attention when the article suggested that including multicultural history would cause students to lose focus and pride. My question is is history always something we should be proud of? I don't teach to make my students proud. (I'm glad when a student takes pride in his work.) I teach to inform and improve my students' abilities, to help them exceed their own expectations.

Anyone hiding behind supremacy or one nationality is only camouflaging hate. I think hate is sad and unfortunate in any community. I understand that times are tough and sometimes people want to lay blame. Pointing a finger at a them is not going to make anyone's life better. What do numbers matter? We are all just people in the end.

1 comment:

  1. What a good question-- why do we teach what we teach? Is it indeed to make our students proud? you say no, and I personally agree with you although there are those that would take issue with that.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete